Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The "It's not my fault" generation

Remember the "Me" generation? Remember the Gen X'rs or Generation Y?

I believe all those titles have given way to the new generation. This generation is called the "It's not my fault" (INMF) generation.

From the reason I'm fat to I'm unhappy to I don't have enough - IT'S NOT MY FAULT.

The T.V behind me is telling me that it's not my fault that I'm fat. It's stress. I can't help it. If I just sent them 67.75 (plus shipping and handling) they will send me a pill that will take away my belly fat. I can continue to believe that if only I wasn't stressed and would order the pills, I'd be that skinny girl on T.V. The realization is that if I would stop eating that pan of brownies I made with my kids last night and work out, I'd probably loose that belly fat. I'd not only loose the fat, I'd feel good about myself. I'd feel like I'd earned those great abs.

The problem with saying things aren't my fault, blaming the world or stress for my problems is that it means that the situation is out of my hands. It means, I have no control over how to make it better. That also means, that if I'm successful that I didn't earn it. It means that it just happened to me. I'd rather fail miserably and own that failure than I had for one minute believe that someone else was responsible for successes I'd never earned.

Those who embrace INMF, embrace failure and doom. They have given up one of their rights as an American to pursue happiness. Because if you can't own your situation and how you got there, you have no ability to change it.

No comments: