Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Letter to the Texas Governor that was never responded to

Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, TX 78711-2428

Dear Mr. Perry,

Illegal immigration has been a problem in this country for many years, though it has only become a topic of real discussion by the people in the last few. I am very disappointed in the lackadaisical attitude of our government when it comes to securing our boarders from illegal entry. As a citizen of this country, who abides by all the laws, policies, taxation, etc., it is appalling to me that it isn’t also required/mandated by those that are not citizens.

Job opportunities are sometimes offered only to individuals who speak both English and Spanish, but when a mandate to speak English is suggested the city will back down because of a fear of lawsuit from LULAC. Isn’t this America, where English is the language? Why is it wrong to say that all business will be done in English, that ballots will be written in English, that schools will be taught in English? Why are those of us that are doing the right thing being punished in order to cow taw to those who broke the law to come here? Why has common sense given way to political correctness and the fear of offending someone? When will some one be strong enough to say ENOUGH!! I shouldn’t have to defend myself by saying that I have no problem with someone who comes to this country legally. Of course I don’t. This country was made great as a “Great American Melting Pot”. But the immigrants that came here did so legally. They tried hard to become Americans. They learned the language. They wanted to BE Americans. So many of those that come here illegally don’t want to be Americans, they want to make American Mexico.

I think we have a serious problem with the way our government is run today. It is my belief that our forefathers had a very different idea of how people would participate in the government. The concept was that a person who saw a problem they shared with their family, friends and community, would run for office, strive for change, then return to their jobs back in that community. They would be close enough to the problem to know how changes would affect the community. They would know that whatever changes they made, they would have to live with when they returned to that community to face their friends and family. They would have to live with those changes when they went back to their job or business. Today we have career politicians who have no memory of what it was like to have a real job and answer to the common man. You have people who are only worried about staying elected and therefore how they appear in the media. As proof, your comment: “There can be no Homeland Security without border security. If the Federal Government won’t act to protect the Texas border, I will.” That was nice for election time, but clearly just talk for the media to pick up.

The media talks all the time about disenfranchised voters. The voters that couldn’t get to the polls because of no transportation or they couldn’t understand the ballot. They harp on the injustices of the electronic voting booths or bad directions to the polls. Well, I have a news flash for them and you. There is a different type of disenfranchised voter. I am one of them. I can drive myself to the booth. I can read the ballot. I can wrangle the new electronic stations. I however, have no one to vote for. I have no one that represents me.

Mr. Perry, I am a republican so I voted for you. But honestly, you haven’t done anything to earn my vote other than be a republican. I wouldn’t count on that getting you much further in your career as politician.

No comments: